Sunday, March 8, 2015

Reasoning Together

The other day, I lost my cool. I had some pretty unsavory thoughts about my fellow drivers & people in general... Its days like this that I feel like God can't possibly redeem me. I'm just a black spot on His sun, the stain that won't ever wash clean... Can He ever make of me a Christian? Sometimes my propensity to “hate” feels as natural to me as a pair of comfortable jeans, all broken in...

My other sins don't feel nearly as bad as when I treat someone poorly, think vengeful thoughts about them or ignore them altogether. I may as well be directing all that toward God, which seems even worse. I'm so guilty. These are the sins I seem to commit frequently- sometimes out of anger, other times out of fear... And other times, just because. How dare I call myself a disciple or the bride of Christ & still harbor the awful, negative things I think, say & do at times! I'm supposed to be dressed & ready to go, aren't I? At this rate, I'm as good as doomed.

Am I supposed to walk around in a wedding dress all the time? I certainly wouldn't hang out in it, run errands in it, go to work in it. I might put it on to get it fitted properly, but I wouldn't wear it out til the big day. No, I exist in stuff I'm comfortable in. In real life, I know the clothes I wear for daily existence will have to be washed because they'll get dirty, sticky, wrinkled. No big deal.
Turns out God sent His Son for people just like me, (as well as for those that I've hated, talked about or ignored). This is the Gospel in action: “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."  Isaiah 1:18.

God knows I'm human & part of this journey is walking in my humanity...  the other part is staying in relationship with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment