Monday, March 10, 2014

Reflecting the Kingdom

Today in the Office of Readings, St. Gregory of Nazianzen was "speaking" about God's generosity. He encouraged us to give back to God by giving to each other for the sake of each other.

He went on to quote a familiar passage of the apostle Paul's that reminds us how we now see the kingdom of heaven & vision of glory darkly, as in a mirror (1 Co. 13:12). And that illustration struck me- the idea that we're looking into a mirror to see our hope, even the very kingdom of God. The rest of the verse, which St. Gregory does not quote, goes on to say that we will see God face to face... "Now we know in part, but then, we will know in full, even as we have been fully known.".

If a mirror reflects whatever stands before it, what does it reflect when I gaze into it? Can it see the kingdom in me? Can I? Am I able to see any hint of the One with Whom I'll stand face to face some day? The mirror "sees" me, "knows" me. But do I see what it sees? Do I know what it knows? How dark is the reflection of the kingdom in me & how can I see more clearly?

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24.

No comments:

Post a Comment