Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Vigil: One Year Later

Lastnight was Easter Vigil. Liturgically speaking, it was also my Catholic birthday. I'm one year old today. I decided to make a pilgrimage to the church where it all happened... I admit, I kind of wanted to re-live the moment, but I was also curious as to how it would feel being an observer. I saw some familiar faces, got big smiles & hugs & knew I might never see some of these people again. It left me with a twinge of sadness & regret for ever leaving...

When we entered the brightly lit sanctuary after all those readings in the dark, it was not quite as dramatic as I remember. The bells weren't as loud or as joyful... The Gloria was familiar, but seemed... lackluster. The lights actually felt a little too bright & I wanted to slink back into the bosom of the night. There was absolutely no incense this time around (which was something I was really looking forward to). Maybe they abstained for the pregnant catechumen. Maybe someone complained they used too much last year. Who knows. I remember how it stayed in my clothes for days, like the scent of someone loved.

I think my greatest moment of joy came from gathering around the baptismal font to watch people be dunked thrice & smothered with anointing oil. After each one, we would clap & sing "Alleluia!" as they padded out to change. But overall, something was missing from the evening... I just couldn't put my finger on it. By the end of the night, I was more than happy to get in the car & drive the hour or so back home.

Easter Vigil 2012 Part 1
Easter Vigil 2012 Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment