Saturday, October 13, 2012

Wounding the Body of Christ

I was recently reading the 1st couple chapters of Lumen Gentium, a document the Vatican put out in the 1960's. There's a part that talks about how sin wounds the Body of Christ. I began to wonder how does an individual's “secret” sin wound the public body? As Christians, we understand the "Body" to be the Church. But instead of a congregation, I got a picture of Christ's own body on the cross. He was not lifted higher than a couple feet off the ground & each of my willful sins was a blow to His side, a fist, a connection, a giving way of His already bruised & bleeding flesh. I observed that my presence hindered others from coming close. What they saw was a distorted view- more my backside than Him. There were others with me... And our “secret” sins exposed us as sinners & usurped Him, wounding His physical body & hindering the body of believers who wished to draw near to Him. 

If He be lifted up, He will draw all men indeed, but our sins can hinder those who want to come to Him. "Let the little children come to Me" He said... Let us also humble ourselves & become as children at His feet, that we may reflect His face & not get in the way of our brothers & sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment