Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Branches Remain

I took this picture on a recent camping trip. I suppose there's nothing extraordinary about a hollowed out tree rotting on the forest floor. But something about this one caught my eye. If you look closely, you can see there are branches protruding not from the outside of the tree as you might expect, but from the inside. I drew closer. The branches on the outside were broken off years ago. The tree had mended itself & continued its growth unhindered. But I found it interesting that the branches on the inside corresponded with the wounds on the outside. Something on the inside had remained & continues to rot with the tree, even though the extremities were sawed off & the heart of it was ripped out.

I began to liken that tree to my humanity... How often have I had branches lopped off & thought all was lost... Little did I know there was indeed something left inside... those branches came from within. I would not have known such a thing could be unless I saw that tree rotting on the forest floor. When the external branches were taken by whatever means for whatever reason, I covered my wounds & kept growing. Those branches could represent anything, positive or negative... They could represent hurt or happiness... Trials or talents... anything. But whatever they were, they were extensions of me, are extensions of me...The branches remain.


1 comment:

  1. That is such a beautiful image you portray!

    ReplyDelete