Saturday, October 6, 2012

Is Self Worth Worth My Self?

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.  You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:1-4 ESV

We think so much of ourselves but forget God... If I thought nothing of myself & everything of God & held His glorification as my highest aim, how would I change? And how would I view others? And how would the Gospel message be transformed in me & subsequently transform me? James says the reason we quarrel is because of desires that don't get met within us. We hate people for what we don't have or can't have or must strive to have. We want this right or that distinction or some credit for our troubles & when we aren't allowed to have it, we puff ourselves up in protest because we are taught our interests are worth fighting for. If we wanted to justify it, we could say something like "we are made in God's image, we are children of the King, we deserve the best because God only wants the best for us". In reality, we only want these things to make ourselves feel better, to make ourselves look good, not necessarily to glorify God. When we do approach God for these things & we think we're being all pious & contrite, are we really planning to put it to good use or will we squander it for our own means?

Is self worth worth my self? That is, do I extract worth from this world? Do I attain worth from my reputation, social or economic status? Do I receive worth from my chosen professed faith? Or do I find my worth in becoming small, in seeking to discipline my self to magnify God's worth first? Giving myself to glorify God glorifies me also... Like the moon to the Sun, its God I reflect when I turn my face toward Him...

1 comment: