Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Divine Mercy

I don't have time to expound on the history of this devotion or how to specifically pray it, but I wanted to post the text because its become very close to my heart. My favorite line is toward the end: "...look kindly upon us & increase your mercy in us, that in difficult moments, we might not despair nor become despondent...".

I began praying it after my last visit to reconciliation. The priest assigned me a light penance, but I felt the Spirit also encourage me to learn the Divine Mercy & be faithful to pray it every evening. As I read over the words, I wondered what good this could possibly do me. It wasn't until last week that I realized I wasn't doing it just for me. The Divine Mercy is actually an intercessory form of prayer & it went hand in hand with the penance I had been assigned.

The Divine Mercy

You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls & the ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world. O fount of life, unfathomable divine mercy, envelop the whole world & empty yourself out upon us. O blood & water, which gushed forth from the heart of Jesus as a fountain of mercy for us, I trust in you!

Our Father...
Hail Mary... 
Apostle's Creed...

Eternal Father, I offer you the body & blood, soul & divinity of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins & those of the whole world. For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us & on the whole world. Holy God, Holy mighty One, Holy immortal One, have mercy on us & on the whole world. Eternal God, in Whom mercy is endless & the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us & increase your mercy in us, that in difficult moments, we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to your holy will, which is love & mercy itself. Amen.


I used to wonder how I could offer God the body, blood, soul & divinity of His son for atonement of my sins & those of the whole world. Didn't Jesus already do that? Yes, but this offering is more of a memorial, a way of saying to God, "Remember that day your Son died & have mercy on us for His sake, as long as it is called today, for today is the day of salvation"... Its like when people in the Old Testament cried out to God saying, "Remember your covenant with your people, oh Lord!" And He did. Its like the sacrifice of the Mass- the very same Body & Blood, Soul & Divinity are re-presented, but in the Divine Mercy prayer, its symbolic. We offer God the memory of that defining act of salvation with thanksgiving & petition, that He would continue to remember us & forgive us our sins so we may be saved on the last day...

No comments:

Post a Comment