Monday, September 3, 2012

Hidden In Christ

This weekend, I'm staying at a friend's house for a couple days. We're heading out of town for a week long camping trip to a mountain lake & most of my stuff is packed in the car. The rest is tucked into closets & drawers & under her bed. The house happens to be on the market & much to everyone's surprise, someone wanted to come see it today (of all days, Labor Day). The bar-b-q trimmings were all cleaned up & a flurry of activity ensued. Everything had to be ship shape when we left. If I were anywhere else, I would feel nervous about cramming my stuff into someone else's closets & crannies. I might never see it again. I might forget about it or “lose” it temporarily. But I feel ok about it here because I know my stuff is safe. How do I know that? Because this is like my second home.

As I was replaying this scenario in my mind, I began to think about what it means to be hidden in Christ. What would it look like to hide “me” in Christ? My stuff, my person hood, everything I use to survive, all of “me”, crammed into His closets & crannies... Would I feel safe doing that? Is He “home” enough to me? Do I trust Him that much? There's a risk involved- I could forget something, lose something, even perceive something as being held hostage, stolen, used up or loaned out against my will... But I don't feel that way at my friend's house. Even if something inadvertently got left, whats mine is hers & whats hers is mine. I'm not worried about what she'd do with it. I wouldn't even think to accuse her of theft & I wouldn't demand anything back from her. I trust her & know she would make things right.
 
Do I feel the same way about Jesus? I wish I could offer a hearty “YES!” but if I'm honest with myself, even after 30 years, I still don't feel at home in His house yet. I'll hang out in the parlor, sip coffee & listen to stories, but I'm not quite ready to sack out in the guest room, rent out His basement or take His hand in marriage. I come & I go, afraid to overstay my welcome. What would it mean to be truly “hidden in Christ", to accept His invitation to stay, to say His home is my home, what's His is mine & what's mine is His? What would it be like to trust so deeply that I wouldn't fear losing my life, being held hostage or stolen from, used up or betrayed?

Colossians 3:1-3  Therefore, if you be risen with Christ, seek the things that are above; where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God: Mind the things that are above, not the things that are upon the earth. For you are dead; and your life is hid with Christ in God.  Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)


No comments:

Post a Comment