Monday, September 3, 2012

Giving All For the Giver

It's been over a year since I've recorded anything or led a group in song. Some think this is a crying shame, but I've quite enjoyed the freedom from creative pressure. Since my music has its roots in prayer & worship, I've never been interested in giving my all for entertainment purposes or to win an audience. I once had a friend who would have given her very soul to be able to make music. She pursued it with gusto, even though it never took her anywhere. I've often thought to myself that I will never "give all” to pursue any gift, great or small. It seems fool hearty to invest in one thing with all you've got without a guarantee for a return.

Lately, I've felt reprimanded, hearing my Still, Small Voice saying: “In giving your all for a gift, you're giving your all for the Giver.”. I'm reminded of the parable of the talents (Matt. 25:41-30). The one who kept his talent thought he was doing good because he was keeping it safe for the Master. But it was this one who gained the Master's anger. The other two received praise because they took what they had & invested. They were considered more faithful, even though they could have lost everything.

I'm also reminded of the parable of the treasure buried in a field (Matt. 13:44-50). Why did the man sell all he had to purchase the field when he could have just dug the stuff up & called it his? Did he think he would find more out there? Was it the thrill of potential that lured him? How long did it take to sell everything & why would he forsake all for this patch of land that could one day prove unfruitful? Was the parable really even about the treasure or was it more about the sacrifice the man made to acquire the place in which it lay hidden? Which was the true gift? The treasure or the field? And in giving all for the field, we see the man not only gained it, but also the treasure within.

“In giving your all for a gift, you're giving your all for the Giver.” What will I give for the gifts given me by God? When I stand before Him on the final day, I want to show Him more than a talent. I want to show Him a field full of treasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment