Saturday, August 25, 2012

Relativism

I have a custom of listening to Catholic radio on my way home from work each night. I recently caught an episode of  "Life On the Rock", with guest Chris Stefanick. He's written a booklet called "Absolute Relativism, the New Dictatorship & What To Do About It" & gave a sobering statistic that 93% of teenagers don't believe in absolute truth. I'm not sure how accurate that number is, but the evidence is clear in our culture today among kids & adults alike.

I realized this evening that I have in fact done a great injustice by trying to embrace all under an umbrella of tolerance... If I believe that Jesus is the Way, the Truth & the Life, I can't say that I don't approve of this or that but its ok for you because you aren't bound to the same beliefs I am. That's like I saying I really don't believe what I believe...  Do I believe Jesus is Who He said He was or not? And if so, He is the Way, the Truth & the Life not only for me, but for you & every soul on this earth! Whatever you think about it doesn't really matter. And here, I feel like I've stumbled into some sort of haughtiness. Are my beliefs really superior to yours? And if they're not, why do I cling to them? Why are my beliefs worth believing for me if they have no value to others?

I've often been told that Christians aren't supposed to hold the secular world to the same standards of God's truth because the world doesn't concern itself with God. To enforce conformity seems barbaric in this day and age. And yet the secular world asks (& sometimes demands) that everyone else embrace conformity to its own relativism- live & let live...  what's true for you may not be true for me, but we all deserve acceptance, civil rights, etc. 

When I neglect to stand firm on something, no matter who I'm talking to or what situation I find myself in, what I believe actually ceases to matter. I become like a wave of the sea, tossed about by every breeze. But if I stand firm, I'm like a rock... better yet, a lighthouse that distinguishes the shoreline in the darkness- yes, there is a definitive border here & yes, you will suffer consequences if you don't heed the warning. Is that haughty? Or is that a kindness, a grace, a more true representation of Jesus' gospel message of hope & truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment