Sunday, June 3, 2012

Novus Ordo In Latin


As I mentioned in a previous post, I attended my very first Novus Ordo Latin Mass yesterday. Novus Ordo is a fancy way of denoting the "ordinary" form of Mass from the "extraordinary" traditional Latin Mass, also known as the Tridentine. The Tridentine is the one where the priest faces away from the congregation. Novus Ordo is the one more commonly celebrated today. 

The first thing that struck me was the incense- I could smell it from the street it was so potent. I only saw 2 mantillas (a.k.a. head coverings for the women), both worn by 20 somethings. They aren't actually required for the Novus Ordo. There was one guy in a suit who looked like he walked straight out of the 1930's, but everyone else was dressed in casual attire.

The Mass was not well attended. There were maybe 30 of us there & its too bad, because it really is a beautiful way to celebrate. There were some older folks there, but the majority seemed to be people between the ages of 20-40.  

It seemed everyone was content to listen to the choir do it all. Everything is sung in- you guessed it- Latin. I was lost at first because of this, but actually started picking up on it halfway through the Gloria. I would stick with it for a while, lose my way when the priest prayed & recovered briefly when we got to the Creed. Even then, I only figured out where we were because I saw people bowing at the appropriate place. Eventually I just gave up & resolved to sit back & observe.

We had a few precious bits in English- the Confeitor, the “May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands...” & the prayer just before communion ("Lord, I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof..."). We seemed to kneel more than usual (which is fine with me) and people had the option to receive the Body of Christ on the tongue or in the hand. Only the priest got to partake of the wine. Overall, Novus Ordo in Latin was awe inspiring (& I'll definitely go back), but I found I still prefer the Mass in English, simply because I can participate more fully.

4 comments:

  1. I really want to go to a Novus Ordo Latin Mass! I don't know that anybody around where I live does it. I went to a Tridentine Mass a couple of weeks ago -- did you see my post? -- and I wasn't particularly impressed. They were Traditionalists, and they were very serious about it, and it was packed, but I just didn't feel I was a part of it. I do think the use of English is very helpful for our participation and worship; but I agree with the Vatican II Fathers that we ought to be able to sing the ordinary of the Mass in Latin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read your post after I came back from the N.O.L. Mass & thought it was funny you should mention it... :) I was about to jump in & tell you all about it, but then I wanted to get my thoughts down first. Glad you stopped by! So you weren't impressed with Tridentine... I've seen clips on YouTube & it seems kind of austere. Do you think you could be a Catholic if that's all you had? I can't say that I could, quite honestly. N.O.L. seems to combine the best of both worlds, in my opinion. I hope you're able to find one soon!

      Delete
  2. I appreciate, cause I found exactly what I was looking for.
    You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God

    Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
    Also visit my homepage ; signet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful web site. Plenty of useful

    information here. I’m sending it to several friends ans also

    sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you
    for your

    effort!
    Feel free to surf my website :: www.spaingolf.us

    ReplyDelete