Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Super Duper!

I don't know what I was expecting after being received into the Church. I think some small part of me hoped to be indued with recognizable super powers when the priest anointed me. Maybe its a residual expectation from my Assembly of God days. I know I've technically been given power through the gifts of the Holy Spirit & even as a Protestant I must have had them... But maybe I believed I would receive some kind of upgrade or something! I awoke Monday morning absolutely exhausted. I looked in the mirror & it was still "just me".

It seems the gifts of the Holy Spirit are more like those little grow capsules you put in water. Over hours or days, they grow multiple times their original size. Unfortunately, with the Lord, a thousand years is like a day & vice versa, so I might be waiting longer than expected. Here I sit, staring at the supposed fullness of God's gifts at the bottom of my glass. They don't look like much at the moment. But eventually, as these gifts emerge, they'll take on definition within me & become part of me... at least that's what the package said.

At one of our RCIA sessions, the deacon spoke about vocation & how one knows what theirs is... He said (in general) that our job is to become fully "us" & to be fully accessible to God. How do I become "fully me"? I suppose by being "just me" & watching the gifts of God sit there at the bottom of my glass. My only job is to keep my glass full so those things can grow in me. My job is to watch & pray & be responsive to God...

No comments:

Post a Comment