Sunday, April 22, 2012

Culty

My best friend informed me the other day that my sudden immersion into the church feels kind of "culty". I guess my life has been turned upside down & its beginning to show. Where I used to talk about work or school all the time, now I talk about church & my "new" beliefs. I talk about the conversations I've been having with new people. I talk about doing activities outside of church or getting involved in ministry with folks within the church. I'm known in the community because of RCIA & other functions I've attended. I'm starting to do things I've never done before & I suppose that can be a little unnerving.

I had friends at my old church & was involved in ministry there on & off, but it wasn't like this. I can't seem to find the right words to explain the difference between the two. Its like life & death. There was something missing for me on the Protestant side... a connection I find I now share with my fellow Catholics. I have an indescribable joy that I didn't have as a Protestant. Oh, how I tried! I never liked church much as a Protestant, but I actually get excited about Mass. By the end, I feel like shouting from the rooftops. I want to be a Christian when I leave. As a Protestant, I would drop in from time to time on a whim... I never seemed to get much out of being there. Sometimes it felt like being a Christian was merely symbolic, just like everything else.

Another concern my friend has is that I'm following blindly... How can I logically believe such & such? I get grilled often. What I DO know with certainty is that Jesus comes alive to me in the Catholic church, as does my faith. When I rub up against others with the same experience, sparks begin to fly. Is that "culty"? Or is it Christianity?

No comments:

Post a Comment