Friday, March 16, 2012

Leaving the Line

So I had an interesting dream last night. I was in some kind of crowd, waiting in line to eat. I recognized popular wrestlers from decades ago. Sporting wrinkles & marred by surgical scars, they seemed a little freakish to me. A couple movie stars drove by in a limo & a few old friends said hi to me. But then, something happened (I don't know what) & a guy began to shout out to the crowd like he was a Pentecostal preacher. He most definitely wasn't.

He encouraged people to "F" faith & religion, to "screw" the priests & the people of God. Where it is said to love God & your neighbor, this man said "F" that! Look out for yourself because there is no God! The crowd roared in agreement. He wasn't just some guy spouting his opinion- he was an up & coming voice of the culture & folks were drinking it in with gusto. This man took the scriptures & angrily twisted them so they were nothing but horrible words encouraging people to forget God & exact vengeance on the church. He was outrageously irreverent. I thought there was no way these people would buy into all that. But their excitement was very palpable as their voices grew louder. I realized they were in full agreement.

Needless to say, I was troubled & left the line. As I was walking away, I remembered the old wrestlers who had "wrestled" for the faith in front of millions. I remembered the movie stars- big names in Christianity who had aligned themselves with this crowd to be "relevant". I remembered my friends, who just thought they were going to a hip place to enjoy a meal & listen to some music... And what of me? What was I doing in that line? And then I remembered- I was the one who left.

No comments:

Post a Comment