Friday, March 9, 2012

Can't Sup With A Dirty Cup

Yesterday something happened at work that would usually make me angry. I remained calm on the outside. I smiled, continued doing my job & even talked to people. Inside, my thoughts weren't so cheery. I was offended & I wasn't sure why. When I realized my inside didn't match my outside, I started praying. I was reminded of Jesus' run in with the Pharisees where He talks about what defiles a man comes from his heart- from the inside of the cup. Outward appearances don't matter if the inside is dirty. I felt offended not because of what happened at work, but because of what was already stuck to the walls of my heart. My crud changed everything about the experience- the colour, the texture, the flavor.

At lunchtime, I sought refuge in the car & prayed. I couldn't carry this thing around with me any longer, even if I was the only one who knew about it. Truth is, I wasn't the only one. God looks at the inside, not the outside. Neither of us wanted to drink from a dirty cup... So I poured everything out & handed it over to be washed by the water of the Word. When I returned from lunch, I felt much better. The change within had affected the change without...

1 comment:

  1. That is just precious, my friend! Thank you for all these entries!

    ReplyDelete