Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bondage In A Box

I spent a little time this morning packing up a box to send to my mother. She agreed to look over some Catholic materials I have- books & such- but she continues to disagree with my decision to join the Catholic church. I don't expect to win her over, but my hopes are that she will be able to gain a better understanding of what it is I'm doing & why.

A few years ago at my former church, our women's Bible study each wrote a letter to God & sealed it. We then handed them over to the leader for safe keeping to be read a year later. The letter said something about what we wanted our walk with God to look like in a year. I recall something in mine about wanting to be a slave to God- to have a spiritual awl put through my ear like that which was done to slaves of old. Today I was strangely reminded of that letter as I packed my mother's box... as I contemplated my coming into the Catholic church in just 10 short days.

To my mother, the materials I'm sending may as well be labeled "Bondage In A Box". Rituals, rules, belief in the Real Presence, Sacraments & sacramentals are just links in a set of old, rusty shackles. Why put myself in bondage to a religion conjured up by a bunch of men? Yet its not the "men" of the Catholic church that I submit to, its God. I am not a slave to the House of Catholicism, but of Faith & I willingly remain so long as God dwells there.

There is one thing I ask of the Lord & this I seek: To dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. Psalm 27:4 I would rather live under His roof & try to abide by His rules than those of the world. I know my mother would say the Catholic church is not God's... but she's never stood where I have. She's been listening to the neighborhood kids who spread stories about the creepy house across town. Meanwhile, inside dwells some old person with a rich history & a treasure trove of artifacts waiting to be discovered. The Catholic church may admittedly seem creepy & even rundown on the outside, but inside... Inside there is a community of saints from the beginning of faith to the present. There is a treasure trove of scripture & tradition waiting to be found. And most of all, God is there. Who can say He's not?! He dwells in our broken down hearts afterall & we could have plenty to say about that. I'm not sending my mother Bondage In A Box, but seeds of a living faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment