Monday, March 26, 2012

Annunciation

When I think of this word, I'm reminded of my teachers in school telling me to speak up & annunciate my words. I'm reminded of the Catholic church in my hometown that was called "The Church of the Annunciation". But very rarely do I ever associate this word with the announcement of Jesus' birth. That's a Christmas thing. But here we are at the end of March, celebrating the Solemnity of the Annunciation. Its the day Gabriel came to Mary & informed her that God had a plan for her life. She, a virgin, would have a baby. His name would be Jesus & He would be the Savior of the world. There's debate as to when Jesus was actually born, but Christmas is 9 months from today, so I guess the timing works for traditional purposes.

More so than just an announcement from a heavenly messenger or Mary's "Yes" to God, this day commemorates the conception. This new life was given by the decree of the Giver of life Himself, not only to Mary, but to us all. On this feast of the Annunciation, perhaps I would do well to recall when Christ was first conceived in me. He didn't come in the form of flesh, but in spirit. How has His life grown in me, changed me & those around me?

No comments:

Post a Comment