Friday, December 30, 2011

The Sinful Woman

In Luke 7, Jesus was invited to a Pharisee's house for dinner. Folks typically reclined while eating in those days, so Jesus would have been propped up on one arm with His legs off to one side. A "sinful woman" had followed Him there & stood behind Him, weeping. Can someone say "stalker"?! She must've had some gall to show up to the house of a Pharisee at dinnertime. Talk about awkward... Luke tells us she was standing so close, her tears fell onto Jesus' feet. I wonder if this was a faux pas- she was a "sinful woman" afterall. She bent down to wipe His feet with her hair & kissed them. Was she apologetically wiping His feet? Why not use her garments or a napkin? No, she used her hair. I wonder if it has anything to do with the idea that a woman's hair is her "glory" (1 Corinthians 11:15)... She surrendered that to Jesus, took the filth of His feet upon herself & proceeded to anoint them with some ointment she had with her. Jesus understood these things as acts of love toward Him & forgave her sins.

It would never occur to me to follow someone I didn't know personally into a stranger's house. I wouldn't stand there crying & making a spectacle of myself. I certainly wouldn't use my hair to dry anyone's feet. In fact, I don't like feet all that much & would probably steer well clear of them! But this woman was different. What was it that compelled her to pursue Jesus & humble herself in such a profound way? This lady made a fool of herself in front of the entire dinner party & she probably could have been arrested, but she showed Jesus the utmost love & He knew it. She was not reprimanded or dragged out to the street- instead, her sins were forgiven. I love Jesus, but I have difficulty imagining myself loving Him to the degree where nothing else matters in the world- not even my "sinfulness". She showed up, asked nothing of Him and He gave her life. What faith.

3 comments:

  1. Your writing is just brilliant! You are a soul who is like a pearl, tucked away and precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear One,

    What a great post! I love your tone and voice and look forward to reading more of your work.

    Happy New Year!
    Tara

    PS My friend Gaylie sent me your URL. She's a close friend of mine and I was her confirmation sponsor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading & nice to meet you (well, sort of) Tara! Happy new Year indeed...

    ReplyDelete