Monday, November 7, 2011

A New Hour

Yesterday I attended a "music showcase" at the parish & it was quite good. Toward the end of a beautiful piano/violin duet, the music got softer & I heard the parish bells ringing out. I have to say, I've still not gotten used to them. Those bells catch me by surprise each time & remind me I'm not in "Kansas" anymore.

I've been struggling with how to tell my family about my journey... They are staunch believers that Catholicism is a cult & a vehicle for the coming anti-christ. To my knowledge, none of them has ever stepped foot in a Catholic church or actually listened to a Catholic's perspective of faith. I've tried to warm up the waters by telling them that I'm merely "checking things out", which was indeed my intention at first. But as time goes by, I don't see how I can possibly go back to the emptiness of Protestantism. I hinted at this in a conversation with my mother the other day & she was perturbed that I would disregard her thoughts on the matter. I wish to honour my mother, but not at the cost of my faith. It was then that I realized its not the bells outside that catch me by surprise so much. Its the ones within my own heart that call out the beginning of a new hour...

No comments:

Post a Comment