Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Seeking Mary

My Protestant mind still has difficulty with the Catholic Imagination & the ability to envision Mary as spiritual Mother. Its not that I don't want to, but I haven't exactly felt anything, heard anything or seen anything that might support the validity of her office in my life.

However... I've been praying to God that He would show me Mary, that He would reveal Mary to me if indeed she is integral to my faith. As yet, nothing. But then, I've not heard Jesus' voice with my ears either, nor have I seen Him with my eyes. I've not touched His corporeal body or received any grand revelations via mystical visions. I have the Bible, I have tradition, I have inklings & parabolic dreams that point to Him. Does that mean I don't know Jesus or can't believe in Him? Does that mean everyone who does is off their rocker?

As it concerns Mary, there are few verses in the Bible that mention her specifically & for the most part, her life remains a mystery. If you were to believe the Protoevangelum of James, you might feel a bit more informed as to who Mary's parents were, how she was born & how the betrothal to Joseph came about. But its one of "those other writings"- part of early Christian tradition not included in the canon of the Bible. For this fact alone, a typical Protestant might thumb their nose at such a fable. This book also gives us the Immaculate conception & the reason she remained ever virgin. If one were to believe this, one could possibly also believe that after she died, she was assumed into heaven & crowned queen. Jesus being King, His mother would be rightful queen according to the human understanding of monarchy. But is that God's truth or the traditional understanding of man?

Perhaps I'm looking too hard for Mary, expecting her to show up some night all aglow, drifting down through the ceiling in her flowing blue & white garb... Her hands would be outstretched & she would have a faint smile on her face as she speaks to me in a calm, motherly tone of voice... This is what I think of when I think of Mary. But really, how is that any different from considering the character of a rapper decked in bling? Surely he's a drug running, gang banging, womanizing thug. People took one look at Jesus & sneered. "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" "He's no prophet! He's mad! This guy is the carpenter's son!" Yet He was God in flesh, come to save us. I take one look at the traditional Mary & think that's how she should "appear" to me. That's what I've been looking for. Yet so often the revelations we think we ought to see or receive from Heaven have been right in front of us the whole time...

No comments:

Post a Comment