Sunday, October 16, 2011

Presence in the Peace

I went to Mass today with a keen eye toward the Presence. I wanted to know if I could sense Him & if I did, when did He come?! The Bible says of course that when 2 or more are gathered in His name, there He is in the midst of them. So technically, Jesus was with us before the Mass even started. But I was looking for something extraordinary I suppose.
It was after the bread & wine had been consecrated & bells chimed. It was after the prayer. It was when the deacon announced the "Sign of Peace" that I felt it. Last time at Mass, I felt the same thing, but couldn't put my finger it... It was as if something was washing over me. Last time, I chalked it up to anxiety. This week, I knew it had to be "The Presence". I sat down after shaking a few hands, even though all remained standing. I was floored. I wasn't quite sure what to do. I held back my tears, closed my eyes & prayed. It became clear to me that Jesus was made manifest in the people as the parts of His body reached out to one another. I envisioned it like water that came trickling over us like a rugged mountain stream... it spread through the church slowly, steadily until it engulfed us all. I thought He might only be in the wine or the wafer if He was anywhere to be found... but the sign of peace almost seems to draw that Presence out. Its as if He reaches out to us first & we respond by partaking of His body & blood in the elements. I of course don't get to do this yet, but there will come a day.

1 comment:

  1. Incidentally, the Sign of Peace is typically a kiss, a hug or a handshake followed by the exchange of the words "Peace be with you"...

    ReplyDelete