Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crown Of Roses

The Rosary is sometimes referred to as Mary's Crown of Roses. Apparently, every time someone says a Hail Mary, they're giving her a rose, and each complete Rosary makes a crown of roses for her. I don't know what to think about that, but I know I've only ever gotten through praying a full Rosary two or three times in my life. I just can't seem to get my head around the need for all that repetition. As a concession of sorts, I say the "Hail Mary" as an introduction to each "mystery", but I only say it six times in the entire prayer (as opposed to the 53 times prescribed in a normal Rosary). I still don't understand how you can say multiple Hail Marys AND inwardly meditate on the mysteries of the day. I don't have the head space for that! I'll repeat the Our Father following the Hail Mary, putting it into my own words to keep it fresh. Then come the mysteries, followed by the "Glory Be" & "O My Jesus". As for the "Hail Holy Queen" at the end, I'm admittedly uncomfortable proclaiming Mary as queen (of Heaven). Mary, Mother of God, I "get" because of the belief that Jesus is God also. But the Queen of Heaven thing keeps me on the ropes.

So why bother with the Rosary if it's so troublesome to my conscience? Because if I were to pray the prayers (sans repetition) & meditate on each mystery with a present mind, it actually becomes a very powerful way to remember the life of Christ. That is, of course, unless one happens to be meditating on the Glorious Mysteries (the last two of which are Mary's assumption into heaven & coronation as queen). I usually end up in some internal fuss, debating the validity of such claims. I know I don't have the foggiest clue as to how to truly say the Rosary or why, even though I've technically done it & still do it (in a bare bones, Protestant way)... I don't do it to give Mary roses or to receive special favors... I don't even do it for world peace. I do it to remember who I am in light of Who Christ is & to remember Mary, "Blessed among women" indeed.

Discover the Mysteries of the Rosary here.
Learn how to pray the Rosary here.

No comments:

Post a Comment