Monday, August 1, 2011

My Self, My Enemy

All throughout the Psalms, David talks of his enemies. His enemies slander him, mock him, set traps for him, war against him. Lately I've been praying such that I don't see my enemies as people or spiritual entities. My enemies are my own negative thoughts. My enemies are the unchecked memories of times long past that still have power over me. I won't deny it or cry foul- I've given them this power. We have an arrangement of sorts. I betray & blackmail myself constantly. Perhaps it could be said that I am in fact my own worst enemy. Even so, I remind myself who God is through the Psalms. He's bigger than me, bigger than my drama, my wars, my concessions. He triumphs over my enemies, be they physical, spiritual, without or within. And so I say by faith: "My enemies did their best to kill me, but the Lord rescued me. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory". Psalm 118:13-14 NLT

I still feel dark & burdened. I limp toward my Refuge as arrows stream overhead. All is not sunbeams & butterflies just yet, but I'll cut myself some slack. I'm learning how to fight back. This is just part of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment