Saturday, March 5, 2011

Not For the Birds

The Book of Common Prayer covertly employs the "ACTS" method of Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving & Supplication. I say covertly because it doesn't specifically contain the acronym or it's instruction. "ACTS" however, changes everything. It puts God first. This is adoration. And then I acknowledge that I am made of flesh, dying daily, renewed daily. I confess my sins & doubts. I offer my thanks for Who He is & what He's done for me. Finally, there is supplication. My requests are now spoken in light of the kingdom. God is magnified & my requests are suddenly small & manageable. In Matthew 6, Jesus says I am worth more than the birds & God knows what I need...

“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. Matthew 6:31-33 NLT

Some benefits I've discovered from praying with The Book of Common Prayer (Specifically The Daily Office) include: Scripture readings appointed for each day take me through the OT, Psalms, & NT. I learn how to respond to & pray scripture in new ways. Set times enable prayer to become an necessity & expectation like eating & sleeping. I know I am praying with believers around the world & through generations of history. It reminds me of who God is & who I am... It keeps me focused, anchored on the purpose of prayer, engaging in relationship with God. It keeps my prayers biblically based.

Prayer isn't for the birds. Prayer isn't for God. Its for me. Its for you. May we learn to seek His Kingdom above all... that we may do whats right, love mercy & walk humbly with our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment