Thursday, February 3, 2011

This Little Light of Mine...

...Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

If my heart is where my treasure is, it stands to reason that I'll find my heart when I find my treasure... When I lose heart, I lose focus. I lose perspective. The lines get blurred. I stir up clouds of dust as I walk, stinging my eyes, making me cough, covering me like an artifact. I'm lost. How can I find anything in this mess of "me"? Have I laid my treasure up in some dark closet, only to be eaten by mice & moths? Has an enemy broken in while I was sleeping & stolen it?

Maybe that's why Jesus speaks of light along with storing one's treasure... “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light..."

I'm reminded of the parable about the 10 virgins. All of them fell asleep waiting for the bridegroom & all of them woke to the announcement of His arriving. Half had plenty of oil on hand & kept their lamps lit. The others watched their own wicks burn out & went off to find oil. The first half found their treasure. The other half were left in the dark.

If I've lost my heart, am I prepared to light the wick & come face to face with what I treasure?


Matthew 6:20-21, Matthew 6:22-23, Luke 17:21, Matthew 25:1-13

No comments:

Post a Comment