Friday, February 18, 2011

Navigation

I commute 20 miles to work (one way) everyday. I know bridges, backroads, side streets & freeways. I know slow spots, escape routes & the time I need to allot for each variation. I know the speed limits & I know where the photo cop lies in wait for his next victim. I know where there are gas stations & parks, post offices, libraries & stores at any given point. I live wherever I happen to be at the moment, but it wasn't always that way.

I got to thinking how when I get in the car to go to work, I'm going to work no matter what (as far as it depends on me). If I run into traffic, construction or some other obstacle, I adjust accordingly & take a different route. But I can't just turn around & go home. That's not an option.

How often have I turned around & "gone home" in my life when a difficult circumstance presented itself? How many times have I given in to distraction & gone out of my way, wasting the trip? How often have I just sat, stuck & brooding? Just as there's always options in my commute, there's always options in the pursuit of a goal. There will be difficulty, maybe some traffic hazards or construction, but I can adjust accordingly if I keep a watchful eye. It took time to build my repository of geographical know-how. I got lost in the beginning. A lot. But realizing a goal is not impossible. In fact, it seems I do it everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment