Saturday, December 4, 2010

Flash Card Experiment Day 2

Today's word:

Alacrity- Speed, quickness, haste. Cheerful readiness or willingness.

Today's motivational thought:

"I can say NO".

Sometimes I have trouble saying no to people- especially when they request that I do something in short order. You say "Jump!" & I'll say "How high?" But before the words complete their descent from my lips, I'm floundering like a rock climber on a rappel gone bad. I didn't really want to say "Yes" in the first place. I just wanted you to think well of me.

Sometimes I realize I've spoken abruptly, forgetting details that might genuinely prevent me from keeping my word. Sometimes I realize the consequence of my "yes" all too late & end up beating myself up or bailing out of self-preservation.

The truth is, I don't have to say "yes" to everyone. I don't have to belittle myself to justify my "no" & I don't have to be a flake. If I communicate my "no" with honesty & thoughtfulness, that could be a first step in the right direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment