Sunday, November 7, 2010

Waking Dream

Many years ago, I had a waking dream- perhaps it was a vision- I don't really know how to describe it. I was in the middle of an angry sea, standing on a lone rock. The waters were violent, red... blown about by a gale force wind. I stood upon that rock (which was no bigger than a manhole cover), unwavering in the middle of the ocean for some time before the scene ended & I "awoke".

The following are verses from various passages that have impacted my life as of late... They're slightly edited & re-written as prayer. Let this waking dream serve as an illustration of sorts... I'm standing on this Rock, calling out... The waters are so high, threatening to overtake me, threatening to drown me... I can't escape... I'm trapped...

God,
(You) set the earth on its foundations... You covered it with the watery depths as with a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. I hear the tumult of the raging seas as Your waves and surging tides sweep over me... So I seek You, and You have answered me; You delivered me from all my fears. You said “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you."

Those who look to You are radiant. Their faces are never covered with shame. This poor girl called, and You heard me; You saved me out of all my troubles. I love You, LORD, My strength! You are my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold! I called to You- You are worthy of praise- & I have been saved!

In my distress I called to You, Lord;  I cried to You for help. From Your temple You heard my voice; my cry came before You, into Your ears. At Your rebuke the waters fled, at the sound of Your thunder they took to flight; they flowed over the mountains, they went down into the valleys, to the place You assigned for them. You set a boundary they cannot cross... Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name! Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all His benefits! Amen!


Psalm 104 NIV, Psalm 42 NLT/NIV, Psalm 34 NIV,
Isaiah 43 NIV, Psalm 18 NIV, Psalm 103 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment