Sunday, October 3, 2010

6 Months of Myrrh

I was frustrated today & asked God to speak to me. I picked up my Bible & read wherever I happened to open up. Yes, we're talking Bible roulette here, but that doesn't negate God's sovereignty. As I lifted my finger from the passage, I read:

Esther 2:12 (NIV)
12 Before a girl's turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics.

I felt the gem in this passage was the myrrh. The time frame for the first leg of preparation was 6 months. That's a long stretch. But she had to complete this step- a step of healing & purification- before she could go on to the next. And then it was another 6 months before she could even see the king...

She had already been chosen to be part of the harem, but she still had to face this. I can't imagine it was all luxury spa treatments once or twice a week for an hour... She probably had to be waxed & plucked & poked every day in every way to be "perfect". What would 6 months of myrrh treatments do to a person, I wonder? Its said that myrrh can be used both orally & topically to treat a variety of physical problems. It was (& still is) used as a disinfectant, an analgesic, a preventative medicine. It has a myriad of other uses as well.

In short, I am a "myrrh maid" if you will... I'm entering some strange process of preparation for the next phase of life. It might not be what I had in mind. I might feel like crap & I'm surely going to be exposed to all sorts of scrutiny. But in the end, I'll get to see "the King". At least, that's what the brochure says...

Like Esther, I have to complete this step of healing (for my soul) before I can move forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment