Friday, June 25, 2010

Adversity

Do I want to be a worshipper? Do I want to love God wholeheartedly? Do I want to be a true disciple & follow Christ? Yes, this is my prayer, but my life often doesn't reflect such desires.

I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Romans 7:21-23 NLT

Adversity will be my teacher... It will teach me how to worship God. It will teach me how to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind, body & strength. Adversity will teach me what it means to be a true disciple & to follow hard after Christ at all costs. It will teach me who He is & who I'm not. Adversity is the staff in the hand of the Good Shepherd. He uses it to correct me & keep me close. So often I rage against it. Yet all the while, it could be that adversity is the very answer to my prayer.

“What sorrow awaits my rebellious children,” says the Lord. “You make plans that are contrary to mine. You make alliances not directed by my Spirit, thus piling up your sins. So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help. ...You will weep no more. He will be gracious if you ask for help. He will surely respond to the sound of your cries. Though the Lord gave you adversity for food and suffering for drink, He will still be with you to teach you. You will see your teacher with your own eyes. Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left. Isaiah 30:1,18-21 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment