Thursday, May 6, 2010

Revelations Of A Shrunken Head


Its become tradition for the worship leader to leave women's retreat with a special trinket. The leader before me got a stuffed rat & last year, I acquired a mechanical disembodied foot. This year, I came home with a shrunken head. I have to say, I was a little uncomfortable with the head, for all it implies:

"A shrunken head is a severed and specially prepared human head that is used for trophy, ritual, or trade purposes." "The practice of preparing shrunken heads originally had religious significance; shrinking the head of an enemy was believed to harness the spirit of that enemy and compel him to serve the shrinker. It was said to prevent the soul from avenging his death." The process also served as a way of warning enemies. "
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head

Even though the head I received was plastic, I held "me" in my hands. I had been decapitated, my mouth long ago sewn shut... I had been a trophy for the enemy of my soul. But this isn't who I am now- I've come to new life in Christ & am beginning to rediscover what my voice sounds like... Not only my physical voice, but my voice as one redeemed. I'm no longer a powerless, silent, boneless, shrunken head! And so today I presented the head to God & prayed that it would become a trophy for Him instead, as well as a warning to my enemy. It still represents me- who I once was (but am no longer)... & it represents the power of my God as well.

Thanks gals!

No comments:

Post a Comment