Thursday, May 13, 2010

Guilt

When one experiences feelings of guilt when guilt is not warranted, its known as a guilt complex. The guilt complex sends mixed messages. Its manipulative, asserting it's will over yours. It says: "you WILL feel bad because I love you so much!" I have a friend who seems to think I have a guilt complex about everything. She calls me narrow-minded. But Jesus says: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV.

I don't want to join in on dirty jokes... I don't want to see the racy scenes on tv or in movies. I don't want to get drunk, swear like a sailor or talk about sex like its a car. All this & more apparently makes me narrow minded & a slave to guilt. Really? Because the truth is, I have a choice. I'm free to do whatever I want. But not everything is good for me. "Everything is permissible"— but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"— but not everything is constructive. 1 Corinthians 10:23 NIV. What I choose to do (or not to do), I do not out of guilt, but love for God. I love Him & I want to do what's best for me because He loves me. If it means walking a narrow road, so be it. I am free to do as I please (& I want to do what pleases Him!). Guilt has no place in this relationship.

God is greater than my heart, and he knows everything. If my heart doesn't condemn me, I have confidence before God and receive from Him anything I ask, because I obey His commands and do what pleases Him. And this is His command: to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love others as He commanded me. Those who obey His commands live in Him, and He in them. And this is how I know that He lives in me: I know it by the Spirit He gave me". 1 John 3:20-24 NIV (paraphrased).

Its not a guilt complex. Its life.

1 comment:

  1. Bring on the narrow road. I find such freedom and peace and happiness in the narrow road!!

    ReplyDelete