Thursday, March 4, 2010

Through The Eyes

In a recent post entitled 'Myth & Life", I ruminated briefly on the question of Christ's endurance of humanity while He walked this earth. I surmised that He was tortured by a handful of idiots & died for the sins of a worldful. However true that may be, those were rash words spoken without love.

I had lunch with Conviction today. He stared me down till I looked Him in the eye. He seemed to say , "You don't see what Christ saw b/c you aren't looking through His eyes." And then it hit me. Jesus LOVED us. Scriptures flooded my already cluttered mind: Matthew 9:36, Matthew 14:14, Matthew 23:37

I had no recourse but to submit myself to God & to the realization of my limitation- no, my utter failure- in my ability to love. I can't love like Christ, I can't see what Christ saw using my own eyes. I'm too jaded, too wounded, too human. But if I can begin to somehow see through the eyes of Christ, I'll see through a lens of love, of compassion, of mercy. What did He see? He saw people like sheep- easily lead astray. He saw them like children, helpless. He saw them hungry & naked & sick. He saw them poor, He saw them simpleminded & burdened. He saw them oppressed by the religious leaders blustering about in the temple courts. He saw how they followed, how they just wanted a glimpse, how some were willing to give everything & how others just walked away. He saw me. He saw you. He walked this earth & was crucified in flesh so we might have the chance to come to repentance, so we all might be saved from a wrath we can't fathom. Even as He rose on the 3rd day, resurrected by the power of God unto new life in the very same flesh, we too can be raised to new life by that very same power...

Jesus tells us, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you". (John 15:12) And how has He loved us? Luke 6:27-36 gives us a taste...

Jesus loved us while we were still His enemies. He did good to us, He blessed us, He prayed for us. He fed us, healed us, covered us with the price of His blood. He gave freely & demanded nothing in return. He was kind to us, an ungrateful & wicked lot. He was merciful when mercy was undeserved. He endured because He LOVED us. And He still does.

No comments:

Post a Comment