Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Miracle of Presence

I spent the day alone, went walking in the park & treated myself to lunch out. I've been feeling wistful, thinking how this is an idyllic day for friends to spend time doing nothing in particular. I've been lost in thought since I got home, my senses still taking in the feeling of late afternoon... I randomly started talking to God & told Him how I liked the way the light was shining just so... how the colours of the trees & sky seemed so vibrant... I shared with Him how much I loved the warm breeze & how it rustled through the leaves. The sun burst through, casting shifting shadows on my walls & I thanked God that He was not like those shadows...

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 (New International Version)

I thanked Him for the fresh scent of growth, for the trees budding & blossoming, for the flowers displaying their new life. But then I stopped, wondering if I was rambling on about nothing or being annoying. As I quieted myself, I "heard" that familiar voice. I got the sense that He was glad I told Him how I felt about His creation. He was glad that I cared to talk to Him. And He was especially content just to listen. Today I got the feeling that He cares about the "nothings" just as much as He cares about the "everything" in our lives. He's present for all of it. Like two friends hanging out, doing nothing in particular, chatting about nothing & everything, its all part of relationship. Its the miracle of presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment