Thursday, October 8, 2009

Readthru: Still Going...

41 days to go. 166 chapters left. 71 in the OT, 95 in the NT. At roughly 4 chapters a day, I'll have successfully made my goal of reading the Bible in 6 months. I'm already looking forward to getting back to the stories of Genesis- perhaps because they're full of hope- of a new creation, of freedom from slavery, of a new land, a new nation... I've been reading the prophetic books semi-consecutively & have had my fill of want & woe. Thankfully, the NT offers a much needed reprieve.

As I near the end, I find myself losing focus- pushing just a bit harder to finish. Its been a struggle to hang back & take in what I'm reading, to apply it. It seems at times, the temporal goal becomes my master... Oddly, the more I read, the less I seem to know... the more wise I seek to become, the more foolish I feel. The more I desire to be strong, the weaker I appear... And yet, I seem to be growing a little stronger in spite of my weakness, a tad wiser in the wake of foolishness, even a bit more hungry in spite of my abundance...

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about this with Mike. I am in Daniel. Again. I keep going back to it because when I read it I am sucked in and I enjoy every moment of it. It is a beautiful and exciting book in the bible. But when I am done I so quickly forget what it was that I loved about it. But I did notice that every time I read it I learn more about it and God opens my eyes in new ways. It reminded me of my Great Grandma. We called her Gram. She was very close to me growing up and was with us until my 16th year. The whole time I knew her she always, always, was reading the bible. I don't remember how old I was but I remember asking her one day, "Are you still reading that same book!"
    She told me that she never stopped reading it. She would go from Genesis to Revelation and then start again. Not on a specific time table but with the intent to always be in the word. She had been doing this since becoming a christian. She came to Christ later in life. But I would say until the day she died she was reading the bible. I will never forget what she told me. She grinned from ear to ear as she explained that each time it was like a new book. God showed her new things every time she read through. I know that it true for me too. Sometimes I think He holds back parts of it and reveals it to me when I am really hungry for what the word has to offer so that it will sink in and satisfy me.

    ReplyDelete