Monday, October 19, 2009

Bread

Jesus is the Bread of Life-
His body the bread; His blood, the wine.

Am I eating bread at this moment in my faith?
Or do I settle for a kernel of wheat here & there?
Am I content to consume dry flour?
Am I chewing on raw dough, hoping for sustenance?

...Is the oven even on?

Am I drinking wine at this moment in my faith?
Or am I gnawing on a grape from the vineyard?
Am I content to consume a glass of grape juice?
Am I imbibing cheap, boxed wine, hoping to slake my thirst?

Jesus is the Bread of Life-
His body the bread; His blood, the wine.
But bread is not instantly bread... its made up of many different ingredients, brought together & baked, over time, in the fire.

So too, wine is not instantly wine... It begins as a seed, a vine, a grape, & continues through a fermentation process. Fermentation takes place over time, in the darkness.

The making of bread & wine takes time.

Am I eating bread?
Am I drinking wine?
Is Christ's Life being formed in me
or am I merely sampling the ingredients?

No comments:

Post a Comment