Monday, October 27, 2008

Read Thru... Chronicles


Finished 1 Chronicles lastnight. The 1st 10 chapters are reminiscent of Numbers, with it's seemingly endless lists of names. But then at about chapter 10, the story begins. Again. 1 Chronicles is a telling of the life of David from a very different perspective. In 1 Samuel, we're introduced to David when he was just a boy. We're able to follow his legacy from there, in great detail. In 1 Chronicles, we come onto the scene just as David is being anointed to take the throne. The book seems to be a collection of snapshots rather than a complete telling...

I think its interesting how the Bible has had a certain cadence thus far... Its a telling & a retelling... One story from many different voices... Some in detail, others, in pieces, but all come together to form a cohesive record. Reading from 1 Chronicles has helped clarify the stories from 1 Samuel...

I think if I've gained anything personally from the "retelling" of 1 Chronicles, it's the weight of God's mercy. In chapter 21, God gives David three choices of punishment for his sin. 3 years of famine, 3 months of running from his enemies or 3 days of plague. David leaves it up to God & God chooses 3 days of plague. While it ended up killing 70,000 people, it seemed most merciful b/c it was such a short time of suffering compared to months or years that would ultimately put the entire nation of Israel in peril. I'm also reminded that even though I'm no king, my sin still affects those around me... the earthly consequence of "reaping what I sow" might not get 70,000 killed, but it may create bigger ripples than I could imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment